YES Energy is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (Principles) contained in schedule 1 of the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). The Principles set out standards, rights and obligations for the handling, holding, accessing and correction of personal information. Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
The Principles are designed to protect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals by regulating the way personal information is managed. At YES Energy, we prescribe to open and transparent management of your personal information and take reasonable steps to ensure we are compliant with the Australian Privacy Principles.
We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for or directly related to the functions and activities of our business being the sale and supply of electricity, metering related services and the provision of certain related services, such as power system security services and notification of life support customers.
Collection of personal information
The types of personal information we collect about you depends on the circumstances of collection.
We collect personal information to:
- Arrange connection/disconnection of Energy services and supply at your address
- Billing for Energy Services you agree to be arranged by us
- Notify our third-party partners to facilitate energy hardware installations, maintenance and collection of data for consumption and billing
- Manage our infrastructure and property interests on your land
- Investigate complaints
- Subscribe you to our communications
- Make a payment to you
- To establish creditworthiness or to facilitate establishment of an account with us.
- To ensure compliance with applicable Energy Retail Laws. (e.g. Life Support Customers)
- To tailor our products to your needs/requirements
What personal information does YES Energy collect?
Personal information is either collected directly by us through contact either
- to or from you in person, by email or otherwise or by our contractors as our agents in undertaking work on behalf of YES Energy;
- If your personal information is forwarded by another third-party we will assess whether the information is relevant to our business and make reasonable steps to ensure they comply with the obligations in the guidelines of The Australian Privacy Principles.
On collection of your personal information we will make you aware of the purposes of collection, YES Energy’s contact details, the types of organizations to which we usually disclose such information, how you may access or update your information and any other legal requirements.
The personal information collected differs on the type of interaction an individual has with YES Energy.
YES Energy may collect the following information:
- Name (personal name, business name and or trading names)
- Physical and postal addresses
- Email addresses
- Phone numbers
- Authorised parties or secondary/substitute notified parties
- Languages spoken
- Tax file numbers
- Credit Information/Credit Rating
- Bank details
- NMI (National Meter Identifier)
- Information about incidents
- Diversity information
- If you have pets of livestock on the premise that require consideration for site visits or installation of assets on your property
- Location, description and recording of any hazards at the site for safety and security of staff and contractors attending your site
- Log or record of energy assets are located your site, or intended to be at your site
- Your energy consumption patterns (referred to as load profile)
Information collected via the YES Energy’s website includes IP (Internet Protocol) address, top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.), address of the server, date and time of the visit to the site, pages accessed, and documents downloaded, previous site visited, type of browser and operating system used.
Use and disclosure of your personal information
We will only use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected unless particular exemptions apply. These exemptions are set out in detail in the Privacy Act 1998. They include circumstances such as where it is a secondary purpose and where you might reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information, where you have consented or where the law requires or authorises us to do so.
At times, where necessary, we may disclose personal information to those who assist us in providing services. This includes, for example our contractors, our advisers and other related entities and service providers and/or regulatory bodies that may require us to by law.
Collection and use of sensitive information
Sensitive information is information or an opinion (that is also personal information) about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices, criminal record or health information, life support requirements.
We collect and retain sensitive information only when it is reasonably necessary for us to do so in order to provide our services to customers. We may also do this when a permitted general situation exists, such as to lessen or prevent a serious threat to life, health or safety.
We will obtain your consent prior to collecting, using or disclosing your sensitive information unless the collection is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order or as outlined in the Privacy Act.
How we manage personal information
Our aim is that the personal information that we collect is accurate, in-full and up-to-date, relevant to our business operations and obligations, and available to you at your request.
YES Energy is committed to protecting the security of your personal information. This includes taking reasonable steps to ensure physical security and that access to your personal information is only provided to relevant persons for legitimate business operational purposes. Information technology security policies and practices, and efficient data management processes are also in place.
Your personal information may be disclosed and stored overseas, including in off shore storage and cloud facilities provided by third parties. In providing your personal information to us, you consent to your personal information being transferred off-shore for storage and management purposes. We take reasonable steps to ensure our third-party suppliers adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles and The Privacy Act, 1988.
How to access your personal information
The Principles give you the right to receive access to your personal information except in circumstances prescribed by the Privacy Act (for example if providing access would be unlawful). In order to give access to your personal information, we must be satisfied that the request for access to is made by the individual or by an authorised person acting on their behalf. We may ask you questions for verification purposes before we disclose your personal information.
If you think that your personal information is inaccurate or incorrect, you have the right to request your personal information to be corrected. You can contact us using the details below;
Contact YES Energy’s Privacy Officer
If you would like further information about YES Energy’s privacy practices or you have a complaint relating to privacy, or to request a copy in the format and delivery method of your choice you can:
- telephone the YES Energy Customer Care Line on (08) 8119 0771 to request and obtain a copy;
- write to the YES Energy’s Privacy Officer via email at email@example.com;
- or via post at:
PO Box 677,
Renmark, SA 5341